In an era of economic crisis, the public sector is increasingly faced with budget cuts, and must offer more with ever less. Strategic thinking – and a deep knowledge of an organisation’s operations, constraints, capacities, ethics and political agenda – are required if IT investments are to flourish and catalyse cost reductions and operational improvements.
If the overriding goal is to maintain operational standards while squeezing resources, then cloud technology is the best-fit solution for public sector organisations (PSOs).
Exploiting clouds will help PSOs acquire new capacities and improve collaboration and awareness, all in a secure manner. To achieve this, PSOs need adaptable, extendable cloud solutions that will enable service integration and management, and accelerate development and deployment. It is exactly this need that b.Open Ltd covers with its jPlaton software application server and Comidor cloud application suite.
jPlaton Integrated Design, Development and Runtime Environment platform
Since its inception in 2004, jPlaton has evolved into an integrated design, development and runtime environment platform for distributed enterprise applications, tailored to cloud software application development.
jPlaton is independent from operating systems, databases, system architectures and underlying technologies. Any application built on jPlaton contains only plain XML files (no binary at all), can be installed on Windows, Linux and Mac, and can operate on relational database management systems, like MySql, Oracle, Sql Server and so on.
The innovation lies in jPlaton’s open, multi-layered, distributed architecture, which encourages collaborative software development: any number of developers can work on the same software project, upgrading, modifying, extending and integrating as required.
jPlaton takes modular architecture a step further, and a typical application consists of multiple parts, called program units. All the functionality of a program unit is contained in XML files that describe its objects and procedures, resulting in a multi-layered, homocentric environment. Any layer can be used to add new functionality, or to update or delete existing functionalities in its inner layers. The number and nature of the layers is tailored to a specific application.
This completely open and transparent architecture permits the flow of information between layers, facilitating integration, and its distributed multi-layered nature allows evolution and customization, all while preserving the inner (core) layers.
Comidor cloud application suite
It is neither productive nor cost-effective for PSOs to purchase, operate and maintain numerous applications, just to cover their daily operational needs. This is where the Comidor application suite comes in. Developed on JPlaton, Comidor offers customer relationship management, and project and financial management capabilities, all on a state of the art collaboration platform. More specifically, Comidor enables:
- E-mail integration
- Contacts management
- Accounts management
- Social networking
- Interactive calendar
- File creation and sharing of any file format
- Wikis for collaboration and knowledge consolidation
- Real-time text chatting, video, message threading and polls
- Ability to “follow” the real-time feeds of co-workers
- Version control (including who changed it, date/time of changes, and ability to make prior versions available for use, etc.)
- Organisation management (drag’n’drop groups and users on an organisational chart that can be restructured on demand)
- Stats and graphs (on-the-fly visual presentation of opportunities, projects, contacts, accounts, and much more)
- Report creation and customisation
- Web services for third-party systems with full interaction and data import/export tools
- Comidor mobile
Personalised customer care
- Case-specific collaboration and quality-focused services provision
- Unified knowledge base
- Leads and opportunities management
- Campaign creation and monitoring with advanced analytics and reports
- Performance indicators, statistics and reporting
- Forecasting based on financial information streams
- Resource planning (human, tangibles and intangibles including personnel, equipment, effort, knowledge, etc.)
- Schedule and task management (allowing managers to monitor budget and costs at any given time)
- Deliverables and milestones management, at the project, task and resource level
- Knowledge management
The G-cloud way
B.open’s cloud platform-as-a-service and software-as-a-service solutions provide an integrated cloud operational environment, supporting the adoption of cloud computing facilities and delivering fundamental changes to the way the public sector procures and operates ICT.
|Androklis Mavridis||Athanasios Soulakis||Spyros Skolarikis|